Artistic Research Programme
The Artistic Research Programme in Music aims for doctoral candidates to:
• develop their knowledge and understanding of specialised artistic issues and their ability to communicate these,
• obtain a deepened awareness of their own artistic work and a well-developed communicative ability,
• acquire the competence to operate in cultural life at national and international levels.
The Artistic Research Programme is based on artistic knowledge and understanding, and the focus of the programme is on autonomous artistic work. Artistic work is seen as both an objective and as a method of learning.
Certain parts of the programme may take place at an academy of music abroad, on the condition that an agreement that guarantees the level of studies and their integration into the programme is reached between the institutions.
Entry Requirements and Admittance
Applicants who are eligible to be admitted should have
• completed graduate studies in Music comparable to 240 credits in the Swedish system in a study programme for performer, church musician or composer or equivalent competence,
• presented a plan and aims for an artistic doctoral project, which was evaluated and approved by an admission committee. If so decided, admission test may be arranged,
• carried out such independent work that the applicant’s suitability for this part of the studies can be estimated,
In addition, candidates are assessed to decide if they have the capabilities required to successfully complete the programme.
Information on the Academy’s research programme can be obtained from Karin Johansson, +4640325417, e-mail: karin.johansson [at] mhm.lu.se
The programme for a Doctoral Degree in Music contains courses as well as individual work and is carried out during four years of full-time studies (240 higher education credits). This includes course work and literature studies/seminars of 60 higher education credits and a thesis/artistic project of 180 higher education credits. The programme is further described in the General Study Plan.
Teachers (Malmö Academy of Music)
+46 (0)40-32 54 17
karin.johansson [at] mhm.lu.se