Admission to Bachelor programme, Individual Programme
PERFORMANCE PROGRAMME IN MUSIC
Key dates for your application
- Sign up for the programme at universityadmissions.se
Registration period: 1 December 2023 – 15 January 2024
- Last completion day to prove your eligibility is 25 January 2024.
- Upload your work samples (Round I) no later than 22 January 2024. Read more about content, recording quality and format further down on this page.
- Assessment of samples of work (Round I). A jury group assesses the work samples of Round I. If you pass you will be invited to Round II. The invitation is sent to the email address provided when you made your application.
- Round II will take place at Malmö Academy of Music during week 10, 2024. Date and time are stated in the invitation.
- Admission decision 1: 11 April 2024 on My pages at universityadmissions.se
- Deadline for accepting your place through My pages at universityadmissions.se is 25 April 2024.
- Admission decision 2: 7 May 2024 on My pages at universityadmissions.se
The admission test is carried out in two rounds. Round I will be conducted via digital samples of work (video recordings). If you pass Round I, you will be invited to Round II which will be conducted on site at the Malmö Academy of Music during the second week of March.
SAMPLES OF WORK
Round I (uploaded samples of work)
When you apply for the Individual Programme, you must submit samples of work as a basis for assessment. The following parts are included in the material to be submitted:
- audio or video files with 3-4 songs, of which at least one in video format, of you playing music which represent your musical area and orientation. Use mp3 format for audio files and mp4 or MOV for video files. You can also send a link to Youtube, your own website or similar.
- a description of the audio or video files you have provided (format: PDF). You must answer the following questions:
– Who composed the music?
– Who performs the music?
– What is your role in the music on the recordings (own group/sideman)?
– In what context is the work sample taken from? (own recording, project report, concert, rehearsal, phonogram etc.)
- possible sheet music (and/or score) on composed material (format: PDF)
- CV of musical background and current musical activity (format: PDF)
- A detailed description of the focus and purpose of the studies at Malmö Academy of Music. Describe which subjects and study areas you see as desirable for your 3-year study period. The description must also include information about your networks and future goals (format: PDF)
Make sure that the audio and video files are fully playable and that you submit them in the formats requested and that any links point to the correct place on the web. Audio files submitted by e-mail or other form of electronic transmission other than the one in question will not be accepted.
Audio and video files must be of recent date, and should not be older than 2 years.
The samples of work must be uploaded to Malmö Academy of Music via the link below no later than 22 January 2024.
Round II (at Malmö Academy of Music)
The audition will be adapted to your instrument and specialisation.
- You will perform 2-3 pieces you choose yourself which clearly represent your focus area both musically and in terms of playing. The music is performed in the form that best suits you (Malmö Academy of Music is not responsible for an accompaniment group if needed).
- Oral presentation of study plans and study goals.
For applicants to the Individual Programme, no music theory test is required.
Instructions and criteria for videos
In order for the video recordings to be approved as a basis for assessment, you must follow the instructions below:
- Start your video recordings by identifying yourself – film your ID or passport, and your face. State which piece you will perform.
- Your face, hands and instrument must be visible at all times.
- Perform and record one (1) piece/audition task per film. No clips or other technical edits are allowed.
- The sound should be of good quality, recorded with the microphone in your mobile phone or with a room microphone, without too much room acoustics and without distortion and noise.
- The video recordings must have good image quality with good contrast and light.
- You must upload the recordings in MP4 format. Other file formats are not allowed. Your folder with work samples must not exceed 5 GB.
If these instructions are not followed or if we suspect that the video files have been modified, your submitted samples of work may be assessed as invalid.
Instructions for uploading samples of work
- Make sure you have signed up for the programme you are applying for at antagning.se or universityadmissions.se
- Save the videos you want to submit in MP4 format. Name each file with a title, your initials and date of birth – use the first two letters of your first and last name and the year/month/day format for your date of birth. Separate the data with underscores.
Video1_LaJo_990230 (In the example, the applicant is named Lars Jonsson and was born on 2 February in 1999. He is applying for Performance Studies – Western Art Music. The next file is called Video2_LaJo_990230_PERFSTUD etc.)
- Create a new folder on your computer. Name the folder with the abbreviation your name_your instrument_date of birth (year/month/day).
- Put all your files in the folder and save it on your computer.
- Compress your folder into a ZIP file (do not use RAR files, we cannot open these). The folder must not exceed 5 GB.
- Open the link for uploading samples of work. You will find the link at the bottom of this page.
- Download or drag the entire folder from your computer into the upload window.
- When the upload is complete, you will receive a confirmation directly in the browser. Do not close the browser until the upload is complete.
- If you have problems with the upload of your samples of work, please contact us via email admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se (admissions[at]mhm[dot]lu[dot]se)
Please note: It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the work samples are complete according to the audition information, that they are submitted in the correct format and are playable. Never send your samples of work to the admissions email. They will end up in the wrong place and your application will not be considered complete.
Link to application
Apply for the programme no later than 15 January 2024.
admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se (admissions[at]mhm[dot]lu[dot]se)