Admission to Jazz/Improvisation | Master’s Level
Performance Programme in Music | Instrument/Vocal
Key dates for your application
- Sign up for the programme at www.universityadmissions.se
Registration period: 1 December 2021 – 17 January 2022
- Last completion day to prove your eligibility is 25 January 2022.
- Upload your work samples no later than 23 February 2022. Read more about content, recording quality and format further down on this page.
- Assessment of work samples. A jury assesses your work samples. Applicants with approved samples and instrumental performance are invited for an interview. The invitation is sent to the email address you provided when you made your application.
- Interview conducted online during the second week in March 2022.
- Admission decision 1: 13 April 2022 on My pages at www.universityadmissions.se
- Deadline for accepting your place through My pages at www.universityadmissions.se: 26 April 2022
- Admission decision 2: 11 May 2022 on My pages at www.universityadmissions.se
For the admission test you need to submit work samples in the form of video recordings. Read more about recording quality, format and time frames further down this page.
The following parts are included in the material that you must submit and upload:
- Audio or video files: three (3) examples with good sound quality, where you yourself participate as a musician. You can use also send in links to your website, YouTube, Soundcloud, etc.
- A description of the audio or video files that you have submitted. Who wrote the music being performed? What is your role in the music on the recordings, is it your own group? Are you a sideman? (format: PDF)
- A detailed description of your personal goals with and expectations of this Master's programme containing a well-formulated artistic project. You should also state which artistic processes you will focus on during your studies and how you intend to use the studies to achieve your plan. (format: PDF)
- CV with information on previous/present studies. (format: PDF)
- In addition to the work samples you submit, you must also send in video recording/-s where you perform a varied programme. The video recording/-s must be at least 10 minutes long and max 12 minutes in total. You must perform the music solo without an accompanist group or other participating musicians. You choose which pieces you want to perform. Read more about recording quality, formats and time frames further down this page.
The work samples and instrumental performance must be uploaded to Malmö Academy of Music via the link below no later than 23 February 2022.
- A jury group assesses the work samples and the instrumental performance. Applicants who have passed the test will be contacted for an online interview during the second week of March 2022.
Instructions and criteria for videos
In order for the video recordings to be approved as a basis for assessment, you must follow the instructions below:
- Start your video recordings by identifying yourself – film your ID or passport, and your face. State which piece you will perform.
- Your face, hands and instrument must be visible at all times.
- Perform and record one (1) piece/audition task per film. No clips or other technical edits are allowed.
- The sound should be of good quality, recorded with the microphone in your mobile phone or with a room microphone, without too much room acoustics and without distortion and noise.
- The video recordings must have good image quality with good contrast and light.
- You must upload the recordings in MP4 format. Other file formats are not allowed. Your folder with work samples must not exceed 5 GB.
If these instructions are not followed or if we suspect that the video files have been modified, your submitted samples of work may be assessed as invalid.
Instructions for uploading work samples
- Make sure you have signed up for the programme you are applying for at www.universityadmissions.se
- Save the audio and video files you want to submit in MP3 format (audio files) and MP4 format (video files). Name each file with title and number_your initials_date of birth (year / month / day). Separate the data with underscores.
Work samples: AP1_LaJo_990230 (In the example, the applicant is named Lars Jonsson and was born on 30 February, 1999)
Audition samples: SP1_LaJo_990230, SP2_ etc
- If you want to use links to YouTube, Soundcloud, your own website or similar as work samples, write full link names in a separate text document and save it as a PDF. Name the PDF file according to the following example: Links_LaJo_990230
- Save your other text documents as PDF too and name them with title_initials_date of birth.
Examples: CV_LaJo_990230, Plan_LaJo_990230 etc.
- Create a new folder on your computer and most importantly – name the folder MuJazzMas_your full name_date of birth (year / month / day).
- Put all your files in the folder and compress it into a ZIP file (do not use RAR files, we cannot open these). The folder must not exceed 5 GB.
- Click on the link further down this page for uploading work samples.
- Upload or drag the entire folder from your computer into the upload window. Enter the same email address you used when you made your registration at www.universityadmissions.se
- You will receive a confirmation message directly in the browser when the upload is complete, do not close the browser until you have received it.
- If you have problems uploading your work samples, please contact us via email: admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se
Please note: It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the work samples are complete and that they are submitted in the correct format and that any links lead to the correct location. Never send your work samples to the admission email. They will end up in the wrong place and your application will not be considered complete.
Upload your samples of work here no later than 23 February 2022.
In order to meet the entry requirements for a Master’s programme you have to be able to demonstrate a Bachelor’s degree in Music or equivalent at the beginning of the term.
admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se