Admission to Jazz/Improvisation Master’s Level
Performance Programme in Music | Instrument/Vocal
Key dates for your application
- Sign up for the programme at www.universityadmissions.se
Registration period: 1 December 2021 – 17 January 2022
- Last completion day to prove your eligibility is 25 January 2022.
- Upload your samples of work no later than 23 February 2022. Read more about content, recording quality and format further down on this page.
- Assessment of samples of work. A jury group makes an assessment of the samples of work and then calls the applicants who have approved samples of work and instrumental performance for an interview. The invitation is sent to the email address you provided when you made your application.
- Interview conducted via digital meeting platform week 10 2022.
- Admission decision 1: 13 April 2022 on My pages at www.universityadmissions.se
- Deadline for accepting your place through My pages at www.universityadmissions.se: 26 April 2022
- Admission decision 2: 11 May 2022 on My pages at www.universityadmissions.se
The admission test is carried out digitally by you submitting samples of work in the form of video recordings.
The following parts are included in the material that you must submit and upload:
Samples of work
- Audio or video files: 3 examples with good sound quality, where you yourself participate as a musician (audio files, video files or via links to website, YouTube, Soundcloud, etc.) that clearly shows your musicianship and making music.
- Description of the audio or video files that you have submitted. Who wrote the music being performed? What is your role in the music on the recordings (own group/sideman)? (PDF)
- A detailed description of the plan and purpose of the studies containing the formulation of an artistic project and which artistic processes you will focus on during your studies and how you intend to use the studies to achieve its goals. (PDF)
- CV with information on previous/present studies. (PDF)
- In addition to the samples of work you submit, you must also send in video recording/-s where you perform a varied program of at least 10 – and max 12 minutes total. The music must be performed solo without an accompanist group or other participating musicians. You choose which pieces you want to performe. Read more about recording quality, formats and time frames further down this page.
The samples of work and instrumental performance must be uploaded to the Malmö Academy of Music via the link below no later than 23 February 2022.
- A jury group makes an assessment of the samples of work and instrumental performance and calls the applicants who have approved tests for an interview conducted via digital meeting platform week 10 2022.
Instructions and criteria for videos
In order for the video recordings to be approved as a basis for assessment, you as an applicant must follow the instructions below:
- Start your movies by identifying yourself – film your ID (or passport) and your face. You must also clearly state which piece you will perform on each recording.
- Your face and hands must be visible at all times. You and your instrument must be in focus during the whole video.
- Perform and record (1) piece/audition task per film. Each film must be completed in continuous shooting. No clips or other technical edits are allowed.
- The sound should be of good quality, recorded with a microphone in your mobile phone or with a room microphone, without too much room acoustics and without distortion and noise.
- The video recordings must have good image quality with good contrast and light.
- You must upload the recordings in MP4 format. Other file formats are not allowed. Your samples of work folder must not exceed 5 GB in size.
If these instructions are not followed or we suspect that the video files can somehow be assumed to have been modified, your submitted work samples may be assessed as invalid.
Instructions for electronic uploading of samples of work
- Check that you have signed up for the programme at www.universityadmissions.se
- Choose the audio-/videofiles you want to submit. Save them in MP3 format (audio files) and MP4 format (video files) and name each file with title/number_your initials_date of birth (year/month/day). Separate the data with underscores.
Name the files according to the following examples:
For your work samples: AP1_LaJo_990230 (In the example, the applicant is named Lars Jonsson born February 30, 1999)
For your audition samples: SP1_LaJo_990230, SP2_ etc
- If you want to use links to YouTube, Soundcloud, your own website or similar as work samples, write full link names in a separate text document which you then save as a PDF. Name the PDF file according to the following example: APLinks_LaJo_990230
- Save your other text documents in PDF formats and name them with title_initials_date of birth according to the following examples: CV_LaJo_990230, Plan_LaJo_990230 etc.
- Create a new folder on your computer and MOST IMPORTANT - Name the folder with the abbreviation MuJazzMas_your full name_date of birth (year/month/day).
- Put all your files in the folder and save it on your computer.
- Compress your folder into a ZIP file (note: Do not use RAR file, we can not open these). The folder must not exceed 5 GB in size.
- Open the link for uploading work samples. You will find the link at the bottom of on this page.
- Download or drag the entire folder from your computer into the upload window. Enter the same email address as when you made your registration at www.universityadmissions.se
- When the upload is complete, you will receive a confirmation directly in the browser. Do not close the browser until the upload is complete.
- If you have problems with the upload of your work samples, please contact us via email to admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se
Note! It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the work samples are complete according to the description, that they are submitted in the correct format and are playable and that any links lead to the correct location. Never send your work samples to the admissions email. They will end up wrong and your application will not be considered complete.
Please note, that to meet the entry requirements for Master’s Level, you have to be able to demonstrate a Bachelor’s degree in Music or equivalent at the beginning of the semester.
Important information for woodwinds
Signe and Edvin Malmqvist's scholarship fund for woodwinds annually awards scholarships to students who are registered at one of the programmes at the Malmö Academy of Music.
admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se