Other qualifying tests
Performance programme in Music | Bachelor's Level
In order to be eligible for a study place at your chosen Bachelor's programme at Malmö Academy of Music you will need to have passed the following tests:
- Music theory test (music vocabulary, music theory and aural theory)
- Piano test (only for applicants to Symphony Orchestra Instrument/Recorder/Vocal, classical specialisation)
Music theory test
- You should only do the music theory test if you have passed the first round of the admission test for your main subject. You will be notified of the result after the completion of the first round.
- You will only have one chance of completing the music theory test for each application year.
- The music theory test will be graded either passed or failed, all three parts must be passed in order to be eligible for a study place.
For passing the music theory test you will need to:
- Show fundamental knowledge of music vocabulary
- Show fundamental aural skills, such as notating music examples
- Show fundamental skills in music theory, such as harmonic analysis, voice-leading and composing of a second voice/line
Music vocabulary (PDF, 347 kB, new tab)
Aural theory – complete audio file (each task is preceded by an instruction in Swedish, just like it will be when you are auditioning at Malmö Academy of Music)
Aural theory separate audio files
Aural practice test in English (PDF 40,9 kB, new tab)
For applicants to Symphony Orchestra Instrument/Recorder/Vocal (classical specialisation)
- The piano audition is obligatory for all candidates for the Bachelor's programmes, classical specialisation (with exception for guitarists, pianists, harpsichordists, world musicians and jazz musicians).
- You are eligible to do the piano test, if you have passed the first round of the admission test in your main subject. You will be notified of the result after the completion of the first round.
- For admission to Malmö Academy of Music it is required that the piano test is conducted in Malmö.
For the piano test you perform:
- one piece of your choice.
- one a prima vista piece.
Test example (PDF 175 kB, new tab)
- full cadences in major and minor in keys with a maximum of three accidentals, performed in traditional tuning.
Test example (PDF 172 kB, new tab)
admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se (admissions[at]mhm[dot]lu[dot]se)