Performance Programme in Music
Instrument / Vocal
Opens for registration December 1, 2020
You apply at www.universityadmissions.se. With your application, you must attach samples of work according to the information that can be read in the audition information. You upload your samples of work to the Malmö Academy of Music via the link below. Read the audition information carefully so that you send the correct documents and that these are in the correct format. In order for your application to be seen as complete, all files and documents must be uploaded according to the instructions no later than February 25, 2021. After this date, your application will be handled as late registration and you may then miss your opportunity to be offered a place.
This year, the audition is carried out digitally by you submitting samples of work in the form of video recordings. The following parts are included in the material that you must submit:
- Samples of work
• Audio or video files: 3 examples with good sound quality, where you yourself participate as a musician (audio files, video files or via links to website, youtube, soundcloud, etc.) that clearly shows your musicianship and making music.
• Description of the audio or video files that you have submitted. Who wrote the music being performed? What is your role in the music on the recordings (own group/sideman)? (PDF)
• A detailed description of the plan and purpose of the studies containing the formulation of an artistic project and which artistic processes you will focus on during your studies and how you intend to use the studies to achieve its goals. (PDF)
• CV with information on previous/present studies. (PDF)
- Instrumental performance
In addition to the samples of work you submit, you must also send in video recording/-s where you perform a varied program of at least 10 – and max 12 minutes total. The music must be performed solo without an accompanist group or other participating musicians. You choose which pieces you want to performe. Read more about recording quality, formats and time frames further down this page.
A jury group makes an assessment of the samples of work and calls applicants who have approved samples of work for an interview that takes place during week 10 via a digital meeting platform.
Instructions and criteria for videos
In order for the video recordings to be approved as a basis for assessment, you as an applicant must follow the instructions below:
- Read the audition information carefully to the program and instrument you are applying for to know which pieces and/or audition tasks you need to record and upload.
- Start your movies by identifying yourself - film your ID (or passport) and your face. You must also clearly state which piece you will perform on each recording. For the films to be considered valid, your face and hands must be visible at all times. You and your instrument must be in focus during the whole video.
- Perform and record (1) piece/audition task per film. Each film must be completed in continuous shooting. No clips or other technical edits are allowed.
- The sound should be of good quality, recorded with a microphone in your mobile phone or with a room microphone, without too much room acoustics and without distortion and noise.
- The video recordings must have good image quality with good contrast and light.
- The recordings must be uploaded in the following permitted file formats: MP4 or MOV. Other file formats are not allowed.
If these instructions are not followed or we suspect that the video files can somehow be assumed to have been modified, your submitted work samples may be assessed as invalid.
Instructions for electronic uploading of work samples
Check that you have signed up for the program you are applying for at www.universityadmissions.se
Choose the audio-/videofiles you want to submit. Save them in MP3 format (audio files) and MP4 or MOV format (video files) and name each file with title/number_your initials_date of birth (year/month/day). Separate the data with underscores. Name the files according to the following examples:
For your work samples: AP1_LaJo_990230 (In the example, the applicant is named Lars Jonsson born February 30, 1999)
For your audition samples: SP1_LaJo_990230, SP2_ etc
If you want to use links to YouTube, Soundcloud, your own website or similar as work samples, write full link names in a separate text document which you then save as a PDF. Name the PDF file according to the following example: APLinks_LaJo_990230
Save your other text documents in PDF formats and name them with title_initials_date of birth according to the following examples: CV_LaJo_990230, Plan_LaJo_990230 etc.
Create a new folder on your computer and MOST IMPORTANT - Name the folder with the abbreviation MuJazzMas_your full name_date of birth (year/month/day).
Put all your files in the folder and save it on your computer.
Open the link for uploading work samples. You will find the link at the bottom of on this page - Upload your work samples here
Download or drag the entire folder from your computer into the upload window. Enter the same email address as when you made your registration at www.universityadmissions.se. Upload!
When the upload is complete, you will receive a confirmation directly in the browser. Do not close the browser until the upload is complete.
If you have problems with the upload of your work samples, please contact us via email to admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se
NOTE! It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the work samples are complete according to the description, that they are submitted in the correct format and are playable and that any links lead to the correct location. Never send your work samples to the admissions email. They will end up wrong and your application will not be considered complete.
Upload your work samples here no later than February 25, 2021
Key dates for your application
January 22: Last completion day to prove your eligibility
February 25: Last day to upload your samples of work
April 13: Admissions results published
April 28: Last day to reply to your offer
For questions about admission to the Performance Programmes
admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se
Please note, that to meet the entry requirements for Master’s Level, you have to be able to demonstrate a Bachelor’s degree in Music or equivalent at the beginning of the semester.