Performance Studies – Historical Performance Practice for String Instruments
Independent course | 1 year | 60 ECTS CREDITS
Performance Studies – Historical Performance Practice for String Instruments is a one-year independent university course at advanced level for students who want to immerse themselves in stylistic aspects of music from the Baroque and Classicism.
Instrumental studies and chamber music on historical or modern instruments are in focus, as well as participation in baroque orchestras and workshops in historical performance practice. A high artistic and technical level on your main instrument is required.
Note: Prior to admission in 2023, only violin and viola are open for application.
Important dates for your application
- Apply for the course at Universityadmissions.se
Application period: 17 October 2022 – 16 January 2023. Late application open until May 31, 2023.
- Upload your samples of work via the link below no later than May 31, 2023. Follow the instructions below – read the information carefully so that you send the correct documents and that these are in the correct format.
Samples of work
You upload video recordings where you perform:
- the first movement from any violin concerto by W.A. Mozart with cadence.
- one movement of your choice from Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin by J.S. Bach.
You upload video recordings where you perform:
- the first two movements from G.F. Telemann's concerto for viola in G major.
- one movement of your choice from the Suites for solo cello (in transcription for viola) by J.S. Bach.
Instructions and criteria for video recordings
In order for the video recordings to be approved as a basis for assessment, you as an applicant must follow the instructions below:
- Start your video recordings by identifying yourself – film your ID or passport, and your face. State which piece you will perform.
- Your face, hands and instrument must be visible at all times.
- Perform and record one (1) piece/audition task per film. No clips or other technical edits are allowed.
- The sound should be of good quality, recorded with the microphone in your mobile phone or with a room microphone, without too much room acoustics and without distortion and noise.
- The video recordings must have good image quality with good contrast and light.
- You must upload the recordings in MP4 format. Other file formats are not allowed. Your samples of work folder must not exceed 5 GB.
If these instructions are not followed or if we suspect that the video files have been modified, your submitted samples of work may be assessed as invalid.
Instructions for uploading work samples
- Check that you have signed up for the programme you are applying for at www.universityadmissions.se
- Save the videos you want to submit in MP4 format. Name each file with a title, your initials and date of birth - use the first two letters of your first and last name and the year / month / day format for your date of birth. Separate the data with underscores.
Video1_LaJo_990230_PERFSTUD (In the example, the applicant is named Lars Jonsson and was born on February 2nd in 1999. He is applying for Performance Studies – Western Art Music. The next file is called Video2_LaJo_990230_PERFSTUD etc.)
- Create a new folder on your computer. Name the folder with the abbreviation PERFSTUD_your instrument_your full name_date of birth (year / month / day).
- Put all your files in the folder and save it on your computer.
- Compress your folder into a ZIP file (note: do not use RAR files, we can not open these). The folder must not exceed 5 GB.
- Open the link for uploading samples of work. You will find the link at the bottom of this page.
- Download or drag the entire folder from your computer into the upload window. Enter the same email address as when you made your registration at www.universityadmissions.se. Upload!
- When the upload is complete, you will receive a confirmation directly in the browser. Do not close the browser until the upload is complete.
- If you have problems with the upload of your samples of work, please contact us via email admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se
Please note: It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the work samples are complete according to the audition information, that they are submitted in the correct format and are playable. Never send your samples of work to the admissions email. They will end up in the wrong place and your application will not be considered complete.
Upload your samples of work here no later than May 31, 2023 (oboe, French horn, double bass, violin, piano, cello, flute)
Link to application
Apply for the course no later than 16 January 2023. Late application open until May 31, 2023.
60 ECTS credits / 1 year full-time
Kind of programme
Language of instruction
Swedish and English
17 October 2022 – 16 January 2023. Late application open until May 31, 2023.
Syllabus MUPS13 (PDF 267 KB, new tab)
To be admitted to the course, 90 credits are required from studies at a music academy or equivalent, as well as an approved entrance examination.
Selection: based on entrance examination.
Teacher in Baroque Violin and Ensemble
peter [dot] spissky [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se
thea [dot] lundback [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se
+46 40 32 54 25