Performance Studies – Jazz/Improvisation
INDEPENDENT COURSE | 1 YEAR | 60 ECTS CREDITS
Performance Studies – Jazz/Improvisation is a one year independent university course on advanced level for you who wish to refine your technical skills both through individual practice and ensemble playing.
Instrumental studies and ensemble playing are in focus. A high artistic and technical level at your main instrument is required.
How to apply
Important dates for your application
- Apply for the course on www.universityadmissions.se
Application period: October 18, 2021 – January 17, 2022
- Upload your samples of work no later than January 25, 2022. Follow to the instructions below – read the information carefully so that you send the correct documents and that these are in the correct format.
Samples of work
- You submit samples of work in the format of video recordings, where you perform two songs by your choice, maximum 20 minutes of music in total.
Instructions and criteria for video recordings
In order for the video recordings to be approved as a basis for assessment, you as an applicant must follow the instructions below:
- Start your video recordings by identifying yourself – film your ID or passport, and your face. State which piece you will perform.
- Your face, hands and instrument must be visible at all times.
- Perform and record one (1) piece/audition task per film. No clips or other technical edits are allowed.
- The sound should be of good quality, recorded with a microphone in your mobile phone or with a room microphone, without too much room acoustics and without distortion and noise.
- The video recordings must have good image quality with good contrast and light.
- You must upload the recordings in MP4 format. Other file formats are not allowed. Your samples of work folder must not exceed 5 GB.
If these instructions are not followed or we suspect that the video files can somehow be assumed to have been modified, your submitted samples of work may be assessed as invalid.
Instructions for electronic uploading of samples of work
- Check that you have signed up for the programme you are applying for at www.universityadmissions.se
- Collect the video files you want to submit. Save them in MP4 format. Name each file with title, your initials and date of birth - use the first two letters of your first and last name and the year/month/day format for your date of birth. Separate the data with underscores.
The files are named according to the following example:
Video1_LaJo_990230_PERFJAIN (In the example, the applicant is named Lars Jonsson with date of birth 990230 who is applying for Performance Studies – Jazz/Improvisation. The next file is therefore called Video2_LaJo_990230_PERFJAIN etc.)
- Create a new folder on your computer. Name the folder with the abbreviation PERFJAIN_your instrument_your full name_date of birth (year / month / day).
- Put all your files in the folder and save it on your computer. The folder must not exceed 5 GB in size.
- Compress your folder into a ZIP file (note: Do not use RAR file, we can not open these). The folder must not exceed 5 GB.
- Open the link for uploading samples of work. You will find the link at the bottom of this page.
- Download or drag the entire folder from your computer into the upload window. Enter the same email address as when you made your registration at www.universityadmissions.se. Upload!
- When the upload is complete, you will receive a confirmation directly in the browser. Do not close the browser until the upload is complete.
- If you have problems with the upload of your work samples, please contact us via email to admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se
Please note: It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the work samples are complete according to the audition information, that they are submitted in the correct format and are playable. Never send your samples of work to the admissions email. They will end up wrong and your application will not be considered complete.
Upload your samples of work here no later than January 25, 2022.
60 ECTS credits / 1 year full-time
Kind of programme
Language of instruction
Swedish and English
18 October 2021 – 17 January 2022
To be admitted to the course, 90 credits been required from studies at an Academy of Music or the equivalent, and passed entrance examinations.
Selection: based on entrance examination