Exchange studies offer you the possibility to study part of your education at one of Malmö Academy of Music’s or Lund University’s partner universities.
Who can apply for Exchange Studies?
Anyone studying in a programme at Malmö Acadmy of Music is eligible for exchange studies. However, you must be an active student at the time of applying as well as during the term before you want to study abroad. Upon departure, you must have completed at least 60 ECTS at Lund University.
Feel free to discuss the exchange with your teachers at Malmö Academy of Music as they often have international contacts and can give you guidance when choosing a school. You must also talk to your education coordinator who, together with the education director, decides if you eligible for an exchange.
As a student at the Performance programmes in Music and Church Music you can study abroad during the following periods:
- Bachelor's programme, year 2 and autumn semester in year 3
- Master's programme, year 1 and autumn semester in year 2
In general, it is not possible to study abroad during the last term of the programme.
As a student at the Music Teacher Training programme, you can apply for an exchange when you start:
- Semester 5, 6 or 7, if you want to do an exchange during one semester within Subject 2.
- Semester 5 and 6 if you want to do an exchange during one or two semesters within Subject 2.
You can choose up to three universities you want to go to.
You apply in spring or autumn, depending on where you want to go. Malmö Academy of Music has three different types of agreement; universitywide agreements (apply to all of Lund University), Malmö Academy of Music's own internal agreements and Erasmus Agreements.
Exchanges applied for in autumn
In autumn you can apply to Lund University's universitywide agreements which are four partner universities outside of Europe.
- University of California, USA (LU) (full academic year)
- University of British Columbia, Kanada (autumn semester)
- University of Melbourne, Australien (autumn semester or spring semester)
The application period for University of California (UC) is 1 - 15 November. For the other partner universities, the application period is 16 October - 15 November. The application is made in SoleMOVE, Lund University's application system for exchange studies.
Please note that you have to be nominated for an exchange by Malmö Academy of Music before you apply directly to the partner university.
Exchanges applied for in spring
In spring you can apply for Erasmus+ (exchange studies at partner universities within Europe) as well as Malmö Academy of Music's internal agreements (exchange studies at partner universities outside of Europe). If the host country is within the EU, you also have the opportunity to apply for an Erasmus scholarship.
The duration of the exchange can last between 3 - 12 months, one or two semesters. The application deadline varies from university to university. After talking to your teacher and your study coordinator, you make an application in SoleMOVE, Lund University's application system for exchange studies. Deadline for the SoleMOVE application is15 February.
Search among universities you apply for in spring
- University of Bergen, Norway
- Norwegian Academy of Music, Norway
- University College of Southeast Norway
- University of Stavanger, Norway
- NTNU, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norge
- The Royal Danish Academy of Music, Denmark
- Danish National Academy of Music, Denmark
- Rhythmic Music Conservatory, Denmark
- Royal Academy of Music Aarhus/Aalborg, Denmark
- Iceland University of the Arts, Iceland
- Folkwang University of the Arts, Germany
- Hannover University of Music, Drama and Media, Germany
- HFMT, Hamburg, Germany
- Hochschule für Musik Franz Liszt Weimar, Germany
- Hochschule für Musik und Tanz Köln, Germany
- Hochschule für Musik und Theater 'Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy' Leipzig, Germany
- Hochschule für Musik und Theater, München
- Popakademie Baden-Württemberg, Germany
- Staatliche Hochschule für Musik Trossingen, Germany
- Osnabrück University of Applied Sciences, Germany
- Hochschule für Musik, Freiburg, Germany
- Universität Bremen, Germany
- Musichochschule Lübeck, Germany
- Staatliche Hochschule für Musik und Darstellende Kunst Mannheim, Germany
- Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster, Germany
- Hochschule für Musik, Würtzburg, Germany
- Hochschule für Musik und Theater Rostock, Tyskland
- Staatlische Hochschule für Musik und Darstellende Kunst Stuttgart, Germany
- Bern University of the Arts, Switzerland
- University of Music and Performing Arts Graz, Austria
- Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Wien, Austria
- University of Arts in Belgrad, Serbien
- Civica Scuola di Musica Claudio Abbado, Italy
- Conservatorio di Musica 'Arrigo Boito', Italy
- Conservatorio di Musica di Vicenza 'Arrigo Pedrollo', Italy
- Conservatorio Di Musica 'G.Verdi' Di Milano, Italy
- Conservatorio Statale di Musica A.Buzzolla di Adria, Italy
- Conservatorio Statale di Musica 'G. Frescobaldi' Ferrarra, Italy
- Conservatorio Statale di Musica, 'Jacopo Tomadini', Udine, Italien
- Conservatorio Superior de Música de Canarias, Spain
- Conservatorio Superior de Música de Málaga, Spain
- Conservatorio Superior de Música 'Joaquin Rodrigo' de Valencia, Spain
- Conservatorio Superior de Música Oscar Esplà, Alicante, Spain
- Academy of Music, Dance and Fine Arts, Bulgaria
- Akademia Muzyczna w Krakowie, Poland
- The Stanislaw Moniuszko Academy of Music in Gdansk, Polen
- The Karol Lipinzki Academy of Music in Wroclaw, Polen
- The Stanislaw Moniuszko Academy of Music in Gdansk, Poland
- Liszt Ferenc Academy of Music, Hungary
- Istanbul Technical University, Turkey
- National Academy of Music, 'George Dhima', Romania
How to proceed
Universitywide agreements (outside of Europe)
- Complete your application in SoleMOVE, the application system for exchange studies at Lund University.
- When your application has been approved in SoleMOVE you will be nominated to the partner university.
- A coordinator at External Relations at Lund University will help you to proceed with your application.
Erasmus and Malmö Academy of Music's own internal agreements
- Decide which partner universities you are interested in (you can choose a maximum of three). Check their application deadlines.
- Apply through SoleMOVE, the application system for exchange studies at Lund University.
- When your application has been approved in SoleMOVE you will be nominated to the partner university.
- You can now proceed with your application directly in the partner university's own application system.
The application in SoleMOVE must contain the following:
Study plan – find out which courses are aimed at exchange students and make sure that you have the right entrance qualifications. Talk to your study coordinator and ensure that you can transfer the course credits to your degree. You will find all searchable courses on the partner university's website in SoleMOVE.
Statement of purpose – a personal motivation letter where you highlight why you should be accepted to do an exchange. Describe how the experience will help you in your future professional life and in your personal development. Also motivate why you want to study at the particular university you have chosen. The text must be written in English and be no longer than one page.
Depending on the university you want to apply to, the application might vary some, but they usually include:
- Application including a Study plan
- Audition video – a recording of around 15–20 minutes showing your musical and technical competence
- Transcript of records – you obtain this from Studentportalen or Ladok
- Motivation letter – a personal letter where you explain why you want to study abroad and why you want to go to the university you have chosen.
- CV – some partner universities require a Curriculum Vitae. You can use the European Union website Europass to create one.
- Letter of recommendation - some partner universities require a letter of recommendation from your teacher.
- Language test – some partner universities require a language test. Via Folkuniversitetet's website you can take one for free.
Swedish exchange students are insured through Kammarkollegiet's group insurance, Student UT.
The insurance begins to apply two weeks before the study period and ends two weeks after the study period. The insurance only applies in the country where you are going to study and to direct travel there and back.
If you are going on an exchange to an EU country, you should also obtain the European health insurance card via the Swedish Social Insurance Agency.
Exchange agreements between universities means that there is an agreement which makes it possible for exchange students (and teachers) to spend a semester or two abroad. The agreement guarantees that the tuition is free of charge but you do need to pay for other expenses, like travel and accommodation. Most students fund their exchange period with grants and loans from CSN – the Swedish Board of Student Finance.
Do not forget to apply for scholarships! Anyone who is accepted for an Erasmus exchange (and Nordplus too) can apply for an Erasmus + scholarship.
Do not wait too long to look for accommodation. Check your chosen partner university's webpage, or contact their international coordinator, to see if they offer accommodation for exchange students, or if you need to sort this out on your own.
If you are interested in renting out your own room/flat to our incoming students while you are away, please contact sara [dot] engblom [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se (Sara Engblom), who will provide you with more information. If you are lucky, there might be an incoming student from the partner university where you are going, with whom you can switch accommodation directly during your exchange.
Extracurricular International Opportunities for students at LU
"Extracurricular International Opportunities for students at LU" is a Canvas page with information about international opportunities for students at Lund University, such as virtual exchanges, short exchanges, webinars and travel scholarships. Throughout the academic year, new activities are published so do not forget to turn on the notifications to get the latest updates.
Log in to Canvas to see and register for current opportunities
Become an international mentor
Lund University welcomes over 3 500 international students every year. The International Mentor Programme aims to facilitate the students' adaptation to their new environment. As an international mentor, you will to meet students from all over the world and get to know new people.
Take a SAS course together with international students in Lund
Are you interested in doing an exchange but do not want to be away for an entire semester? Then a summer exchange might be the right option for you. A summer exchange does not affect your opportunities to go on a regular exchange during the rest of the academic year.
The application period for summer courses abroad in 2023 is 25 January – 6 February.
Do you want to be an ambassador?
Do you want to share your everyday life abroad on Lund University's or Malmö Academy of Music's Instagram account?
- MHM - Amelie Malmgren
- LU - lunduniversityabroad [at] er [dot] lu [dot] se (The Exchange Ambassadors)
When you go on exchange studies to one of our partner universities, you are one of Lund University's most important representatives and our face to the outside world.
Academic year 2022/2023
- ti2838st-s [at] student [dot] lu [dot] se (Tilda Strandberg), Rio de Janeiro, Brasilien
- em0172bo-s [at] student [dot] lu [dot] se (Emilia Bornestav), Milano, Italien
- fr2383ni-s [at] student [dot] lu [dot] se (Frida Nilsson), Limerick, Irland
- ka1744ju-s [at] student [dot] lu [dot] se (Kajsa Junefjäll), Melbourne, Australien
- ma2246ca-s [at] student [dot] lu [dot] se (Mattias Carlberg), Vancouver, Kanada
If you want to get more information, feel free to email the students directly.