- over 100 years of music education
Malmö Music Conservatory – the forerunner of Malmö Academy of Music – began its activities in 1907 at the initiative of the Italian flutist Giovanni Tronchi, who also became the school's first director.
In 1971 the school became public, and the name was changed to Malmö Academy of Music. Six years later, in 1977, it became part of Lund University. In 2007, the Faculty of Fine and Performing Arts was established, which today includes Malmö Academy of Music, as well as Malmö Theatre Academy and Malmö Art Academy.
Artistic and pedagogical progression
Malmö Academy of Music has always evolved in active collaboration with the surrounding music and cultural life both nationally and internationally. Here prominent musicians, composers, educators, and researchers have developed knowledge traditions and paved the way for change and renewal. Today's programmes and courses have a firm base in conscious artistic and pedagogical progression and are characterised by commitment, curiosity, reflection, and a creative approach.