Research at the Malmö Academy of Music is carried out by researchers and doctoral students within the disciplines of Music Education and Artistic Research in Music.
The discipline of Music Education has a future-oriented approach, focusing on creativity, the international community, intercultural music education and advocacy – promoting quality music learning opportunities for all. Furthermore, the emphasis on empirical work includes an ambition towards practice-based research.
The discipline of Artistic Research in Music attempts to study the complexity of real-world artistic production and practice. The strength of this program resides in the experimental attitude towards how art creation and research impact one another. Further, we study how technical tools can acquire epistemic status and impact the semantic underlay of the creative output. Such dialectics between epistemicity and technicity is at the inner core of an experimental system; it is its driving force.
Perspectives in Music and Music Education
Studies in Music and Music Education
Doctoral Studies and Research in Fine and Performing Arts
- Sæther, E. (2021). The kraptr of aging folk musicians: Mental practice for the future. I K. Holdhus, R. Murphy & M. Espeland (red:er.) Music Education as Craft – Reframing Theories and Practices (s. 207-217). London: Routledge.
- Houmann, A. (2021). My Favorite Failure – Learning Resilience. I R. A. Beghetto., & L. McBain (red.). My Favorite Failure. Rowman & Littlefield.
- Houmann, A. (2021). Groaning in the groan zone – a pattern for emergent conversation and learning in education. I R. A. Beghetto & G. Jaeger (red.). Uncertainty: A catalyst for creativity, learning and development. Springer.
- Edgerton, Michael E. (2021). A Report on influences from superfluid turbulence in Der Rufer for percussion quartet. Art and Science: ISTE OpenScience. Volume 21- 5, issue 3.
- Johansson, K., & Georgii-Hemming, E. (2021). Processes of academisation in higher music education: The case of Sweden. British Journal of Music Education, 1-14.
Our researchers regularly participate in international conferences, projects and performances around the world. These activities has established Malmö Academy of Music as a leading research institution in music education and artistic research in music.
Seminar activities are organised both separately for each doctoral programme and around topics that bring together all doctoral students and senior researchers. Both doctoral programmes are members of several different national and international networks.
Inter Arts Center
Inter Arts Center (IAC) is a common platform at the Faculty of Fine and Performing Arts with the aim of promoting the development of artistic research, supporting interdisciplinary collaborations and collaboration with the surrounding cultural life.
Professor - Pedagogy focusing on educational science
anna [dot] houmann [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se
Professor - Artistic Research in Music
michael [dot] edgerton [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se