Admission to Composition
MASTER’S PROGRAMME IN MUSIC • 120 CREDITS • 2 YEARS
Key dates for your application
- Sign up for the programme at Universityadmissions.se
Registration period: 1 December 2022 – 16 January 2023
- Last completion day to prove your eligibility is 25 January 2023.
- Upload your samples of work no later than 25 January 2023. Read more about content and format further down on this page.
- Assessment of samples of work. A jury group makes an assessment of the samples of work and then calls the applicants who have approved samples of work for admission test at the Malmö Academy of Music. The invitation is sent to the email address you provided when you made your application.
- Admission test will be conducted at the Malmö Academy of Music, week 10, 2023. The date and time will be stated in the invitation.
- Admission decision 1: 12 April 2023 on My pages at Universityadmissions.se
- Deadline for accepting your place through My pages at Universityadmissions.se: 26 April 2023
- Admission decision 2: 10 May 2023 on My pages at Universityadmissions.se
SAMPLES OF WORK
You must upload:
- four-five (4-5) representative samples of work in written form (scores in PDF-files) with detailed notes. Include live or synth recordings (as MP3-files) with detailed recording notes. It is important that you submit both scores and sound files. Read more about how to submit your work samples further down on this page.
- a written text stating your personal goals and what you expect from this Master's programme.
- a CV/resumé detailing grades from previous studies, plus information on teachers, schools, level of previous studies and areas of specialisation.
- complete list of works and preferably also comments.
Please note: All work samples must be uploaded to Malmö Academy of Music via the link below no later than 25 January 2023.
The admission test is carried out at Malmö Academy of Music.
- The written test for Composition, Master’s level consists of three parts: composition/analysis, counterpoint and instrumentation in addition to an ear training test.
- During the following interview, the tasks completed in your written test are discussed, as are your submitted work samples. This is also an opportunity for you to talk about your musicality, your expectations of the programme and which skills you wish to develop further.
- During the interview you are also asked to play a short piano piece of your choice.
Admissions exercises in Composition
Instructions for uploading samples of work
- Make sure you have signed up for the programme you are applying for at Universityadmissions.se or Antagning.se
- Save the 4-5 scores you want to submit as PDFs and name each file with title_your initials_date of birth (year / month / day). Separate the data with underscores.
Example: Part1_LaJo_990230 (In this example the applicant is named Lars Jonsson and was born on 30 February, 1999)
- Save the audio files you want to submit in MP3 format and name each file with title, initials and date of birth.
- If you want to use links to YouTube, Soundcloud, your own website or similar as work samples, write full link names in a separate text document and save it as a PDF. Name the PDF file according to the following example: Links_LaJo_990230
- Save your other text documents as PDF too and name them with title_initials_date of birth.
Examples: CV_LaJo_990230, Plan_LaJo_990230 etc.
- Create a new folder on your computer and most importantly – name the folder with the abbreviation of your full name_date of birth (year/month/day). Example: LarsJonsson_990230
- Put all your files in the folder and compress it into a ZIP file (do not use RAR files, we cannot open these). The folder must not exceed 5 GB.
- Click on the link further down this page for uploading samples of work.
- Upload or drag the entire folder from your computer into the upload window. Enter the same email address you used when you made your registration at Universityadmissions.se or Antagning.se
- You will receive a confirmation message directly in the browser when the upload is complete, do not close the browser until you have received it.
- If you have problems uploading your work samples, please contact us via email: admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se (admissions[at]mhm[dot]lu[dot]se)
Please note: It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the work samples are complete and that they are submitted in the correct format and that any links lead to the correct location. Never send your work samples to the admission email. They will end up in the wrong place and your application will not be considered complete.
Upload your samples of work here no later than 25 January 2023.
In order to meet the entry requirements for a Master’s programme you have to be able to demonstrate a Bachelor’s degree in Music or equivalent at the beginning of the term.
admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se (admissions[at]mhm[dot]lu[dot]se)