Karin Johansson new professor in Artistic Research in Music
Karin Johansson was promoted to professor in Artistic Research in Music from July 1, 2015.
Karin is a performing organist and church musician, educated at the Malmö Academy of Music during the 1980’s. In 2003, she became a PhD candidate in Cecilia Hultberg’s artistic research project Musicians’ interpretation finding, and in 2008 defended her thesis in Music Education: Organ improvisation – activity, action and rhetorical practice.
As a post doc researcher and senior lecturer, she has carried out research projects on improvisation, choir-related topics and higher music education. Together with Ursula Geisler, Sara Wilén, Sverker Zadig and Viveka Lyberg-Åhlander she recently concluded a transdisciplinary Advanced Study Group at The Pufendorf Institute, Lund – Artistic Vocal and Choral Orders (AVaCO) – with a focus on communication and new modes of performance in vocal music.
As professor, Karin works with supervision of PhD candidates, research seminars and teaching at master and bachelor levels. She is the director of the research programme in Artistic Research in Music and conducts research projects, which in the near future will be the organ project Musical rhetorics in contemporary rituals. In a lecture recently at the Malmö Academy of Music, she described artistic research in music as a field of possibilities. Karin aims at
1) further development of the profile areas in the research programme, and dissemination of the artistic knowledge that is generated
2) extended communication between the levels of PhD, master and bachelor in Music
3) interaction between the two research disciplines at the Malmö Academy of Music (Music and Music Education)
4) contact and exchange between the research programme in Music, Inter Arts Center and other institutions
5) national and international co-operation concerning the future of artistic research and its contributions to artistic knowledge development in the academy, in institutions of musical performance and on the free-lance market.
Artistic Research in Music is a relatively young discipline and displays a variety of profiles at the music conservatoires in Sweden and internationally. At the Malmö Academy of Music, the intention since the appointment 2002 of the first three PhD candidates (Henrik Frisk, Hans Gefors and Stefan Östersjö) has been to promote and foster PhD projects in music that are artistically creative and experimental. At present, seven PhD projects are ongoing. These have all been internationally recognised, at the same time as they are based in the activites at the Malmö Academy of Music.
Karin Johansson is involved in several ongoing projects. In November, a release party was held at the Malmö Academy of Music in connection with the publication of her book ”A Cappella – choral director’s voices”. This book is published by Körcentrum Syd and gives inside perspectives on performing and learning in choral leadership.