Admission to Composition – Scoring for Film and Media
MASTER’S PROGRAMME IN MUSIC • 120 CREDITS • 2 YEARS
No admission 2023. Next application period for this programme will be in 2024.
Key dates for your application
- Sign up for the programme at www.universityadmissions.se
Registration period: 1 December 2021 – 17 January 2022
- Last completion day to prove your eligibility is 25 January 2022.
- Upload your samples of work no later than 25 January 2022. Read more about content and format further down on this page.
- Assessment of samples of work. A jury group makes an assessment of the samples of work and then calls the applicants who have approved samples of work for admission test and interview. The invitation is sent to the email address you provided when you made your application.
- Upload your admission test no later than 23 February 2022 via the same link as with the samples of work below. Read more about content and formats further down this page.
- Interview will take place at Malmö Academy of Music week 10 2022. Date and time are stated in the invitation.
- Admission decision 1: 13 April 2022 on My pages at www.universityadmissions.se
- Deadline for accepting your place through My pages at www.universityadmissions.se: 26 April 2022
- Admission decision 2: 11 May 2022 on My pages at www.universityadmissions.se
You must upload:
- four-five (4-5) work samples that represent your work in the best possible way. It could be scores or recordings of your compositions for example. If you are sending scores, make sure you also send recordings in mp3 format (live or synth).
- a written text stating your personal goals and what you expect from this Master's programme (about one page).
- a CV/resumé detailing grades from previous studies, plus information on teachers, schools, level of previous studies and areas of specialisation.
Please note: All work samples must be uploaded to Malmö Academy of Music via the link below no later than 25 January 2022.
If you are invited to the admission test you will receive three (3) short film clips with a synopsis together with the invitation.
- Choose one of the film clips and compose a standalone theme.
- Then create music for a clip of your choice where you incorporate the theme or fragments of it in some way. You choose your own instrumentation. Keep in mind that the dramaturgical expression is primary, a simple arrangement can be as well-functioning as a grand orchestra set.
- Briefly describe and motivate the approach and the underlying dramaturgical thoughts, both for the standalone theme and the music for the film clip.
Upload the standalone theme as a lead sheet (format: PDF) and an audio file (format: MP3. Upload the clip you have worked with in quicktime format (.mov) together with your motivation by 23 February 2022. Use the same link you used for uploading your work samples at the bottom of this page.
The interview will take place at Malmö Academy of Music.
- During the interview, the tasks completed in the admission test are discussed, as are your submitted work samples. This is also an opportunity for you to talk about your musicality, your expectations of the programme and which skills you wish to develop further.
Instructions for uploading samples of work
- Make sure you have signed up for the programme you are applying for at Universityadmissions.se or Antagning.se
- Save the 4-5 scores you want to submit as PDFs and name each file with title_your initials_date of birth (year / month / day). Separate the data with underscores.
Example: Part1_LaJo_990230 (In this example the applicant is named Lars Jonsson and was born on 30 February, 1999)
- Save the audio files you want to submit in MP3 format and name each file with title, initials and date of birth.
- If you want to use links to YouTube, Soundcloud, your own website or similar as work samples, write full link names in a separate text document and save it as a PDF. Name the PDF file according to the following example: Links_LaJo_990230
- Save your other text documents as PDF too and name them with title_initials_date of birth.
Examples: CV_LaJo_990230, Plan_LaJo_990230 etc.
- Create a new folder on your computer and most importantly – name the folder with the abbreviation of your full name_date of birth (year/month/day). Example: LarsJonsson_990230
- Put all your files in the folder and compress it into a ZIP file (do not use RAR files, we cannot open these). The folder must not exceed 5 GB.
- Click on the link further down this page for uploading samples of work.
- Upload or drag the entire folder from your computer into the upload window. Enter the same email address you used when you made your registration at Universityadmissions.se or Antagning.se
- You will receive a confirmation message directly in the browser when the upload is complete, do not close the browser until you have received it.
- If you have problems uploading your work samples, please contact us via email: admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se (admissions[at]mhm[dot]lu[dot]se)
Please note: It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the work samples are complete and that they are submitted in the correct format and that any links lead to the correct location. Never send your work samples to the admission email. They will end up in the wrong place and your application will not be considered complete.
Upload your sample of work (Round II) here no later than 23 February 2022.
In order to meet the entry requirements for a Master’s programme you have to be able to demonstrate a Bachelor’s degree in Music or equivalent at the beginning of the term.
admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se (admissions[at]mhm[dot]lu[dot]se)