Admission to Composition – Scoring for Film and Media Master's Level
PERFORMANCE PROGRAMME IN MUSIC
Key dates for your application
- Sign up for the programme at www.universityadmissions.se
Registration period: 1 December 2021 – 17 January 2022
- Last completion day to prove your eligibility is 25 January 2022.
- Upload your samples of work no later than 25 January 2022. Read more about content and format further down on this page.
- Assessment of samples of work. A jury group makes an assessment of the samples of work and then calls the applicants who have approved samples of work for admission test and interview. The invitation is sent to the email address you provided when you made your application.
- Upload your admission test no later than 23 February 2022 via the same link as with the samples of work below. Read more about content and formats further down this page.
- Interview will take place at Malmö Academy of Music week 10 2022. Date and time are stated in the invitation.
- Admission decision 1: 13 April 2022 on My pages at www.universityadmissions.se
- Deadline for accepting your place through My pages at www.universityadmissions.se: 26 April 2022
- Admission decision 2: 11 May 2022 on My pages at www.universityadmissions.se
SAMPLES OF WORK
You must upload:
- four-five (4-5) work samples that best represent your production. It can be, for example, scores or recordings of your compositions. If you are sending scores, also send recordings in mp3 format (live or synth).
- a written text stating the goals you have with your studies (about an A4 page).
- a resumé including curriculum vitae and certificate of previous studies as well as information about teachers, schools, study levels and areas of specialization.
Please note that all samples of work must be uploaded to Malmö Academy of Music via the link below no later than 25 January 2022.
You who are invited for further admission test will, together with the invitation, receive three (3) short film clips with a synopsis.
- Choose one of the film clips, to which you compose an overall standalone theme.
- Then create music for the clip of your choice where you incorporate the theme or fragments of the theme in some way. You choose your own instrumentation. Keep in mind that the dramaturgical expression is primary, a simple arrangement can be as well-functioning as a grand orchestra set.
- Briefly describe and motivate the approach and the underlying dramaturgical thoughts, both for the standalone theme and the music for the film clip.
Upload the standalone theme as a lead sheet in PDF format and audio file in MP3 format, the clip you worked with in quicktime format (.mov), and your motivation by 23 February 2022 via the same link as with the samples of work below.
The interview will take place at Malmö Academy of Music.
- During the interview, all tasks carried out at the admission test are discussed, as are the submitted samples of work. You can talk about your musicality and expectations of the programme and which skills you wish to develop further.
Instructions for electronic uploading of samples of work
- Check that you have signed up for the programme at www.universityadmissions.se
- Choose the 4-5 scores you want to submit. Save them in PDF format and name each file with title_your initials_date of birth (year/month/day). Separate the data with underscores.
Example: Part1_LaJo_990230 (In the example, the applicant is named Lars Jonsson born February 30, 1999)
- It is important that you send in both scores and audio files for the material you want to use as a basis for assessing work samples. Choose the audio files you want to submit. Save them in MP3 format and name each file with title, initials and date of birth.
- If you want to use links to YouTube, Soundcloud, your own website or similar as work samples, write full link names in a separate text document which you then save as a PDF. Name the PDF file according to the following example: Links_LaJo_990230
- Save your other text documents in PDF formats and name them with title_initials_date of birth according to the following examples: CV_LaJo_990230, Plan_LaJo_990230 etc.
- Create a new folder on your computer and MOST IMPORTANT – Name the folder with the abbreviation your full name_date of birth (year/month/day).
- Put all your files in the folder and save it on your computer.
- Compress your folder into a ZIP file (note: Do not use RAR file, we can not open these). The folder must not exceed 5 GB in size.
- Open the link for uploading work samples. You will find the link further down on this page.
- Download or drag the entire folder from your computer into the upload window. Enter the same email address as when you made your registration at www.universityadmissions.se
- When the upload is complete, you will receive a confirmation directly in the browser. Do not close the browser until the upload is complete.
- If you have problems with the upload of your work samples, please contact us via email to admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se
Note! It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the work samples are complete according to the description, that they are submitted in the correct format and are playable and that any links lead to the correct location. Never send your work samples to the admissions email. They will end up wrong and your application will not be considered complete.
Please note, that to meet the entry requirements for Master’s Level, you have to be able to demonstrate a Bachelor’s degree in Music or equivalent at the beginning of the semester.
admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se