Admission to Bachelor programme, Jazz/Improvisation
PERFORMANCE PROGRAMME IN MUSIC | INSTRUMENTAL/VOCAL
Key dates for your application
- Sign up for the programme at antagning.se
Registration period: 1 December 2022 – 16 January 2023
- Last completion day to prove your eligibility is 25 January 2023.
- Upload your samples of work (Round I) no later than 25 January 2023. Read more about content, recording quality and format further down on this page.
- Assessment of samples of work (Round I). A jury group assesses the samples work for Round I. If you pass you will be invited to Round II. The invitation is sent to the email address you provided when you made your application.
- Round II will take place at Malmö Academy of Music during the second week of March, 2023. Date and time are stated in the invitation. You will also complete other qualifying tests.
- Admission decision 1: 12 April 2023 on My pages at antagning.se
- Deadline for accepting your place through My pages at antagning.se is 26 April 2023.
- Admission decision 2: 10 May 2023 on My pages at antagning.se
The admission test takes place in two rounds. Round I is conducted remotely by you as the applicant uploading samples of work in the form of video recordings. If you pass Round I, you will be called to Round II. Round II is conducted on site at Malmö Academy of Music second week of March (week 10).
In order to be offered a place, in addition to passing results on both of your playing tests, you also need to have passed results on other qualifying tests (more information further down on this page).
WORK SAMPLES (Round I)
Submit video recordings where you:
- Prepare and record two songs of different character. At least one of the songs you submit must be an original composition or your personal arrangement/interpretation of a song written by someone else. Perform the songs together with a group of your choosing (versions where you use play-a-long are allowed). You must be able to improvise (make a solo) on both songs. If you play an accompaniment instrument (piano, guitar, bass or drums), you must be able to accompany another soloist in both versions.
The recordings must be uploaded to Malmö Academy of Music via the link below no later than 25 January 2023.
ADMISSION TEST (Round II)
The test consists of the following parts:
- Interpretation Task: You will receive the working material needed for this task beforehand via email (we use the same email address you used when you registered at antagning.se). The task consists of turning the working material into a complete composition and then make an accompaniment group understand and perform your version of the material.
- Ensemble Task: You must perform one of the jury's pre-selected songs together with the accompaniment group. Instructions are given at the time of the test. The task includes understanding music, practical pitch, understanding of form and improvisation over the assigned form.
- The test may also include a short interview about study purpose and goals.
OTHER QUALIFYING TESTS
Information about other qualifying tests
Instructions and criteria for videos
In order for the video recordings to be approved as a basis for assessment, you must follow the instructions below:
- Start your video recordings by identifying yourself – film your ID or passport, and your face. State which piece you will perform.
- Your face, hands and instrument must be visible at all times.
- Perform and record one (1) piece/audition task per film. No clips or other technical edits are allowed.
- The sound should be of good quality, recorded with the microphone in your mobile phone or with a room microphone, without too much room acoustics and without distortion and noise.
- The video recordings must have good image quality with good contrast and light.
- You must upload the recordings in MP4 format. Other file formats are not allowed. Your folder with work samples must not exceed 5 GB.
If these instructions are not followed or if we suspect that the video files have been modified, your submitted samples of work may be assessed as invalid.
Instructions for uploading samples of work
- Make sure you have signed up for the programme you are applying for at Antagning.se or Universityadmissions.se
- Save the videos you want to submit in MP4 format. Name each file with a title, your initials and date of birth – use the first two letters of your first and last name and the year/month/day format for your date of birth. Separate the data with underscores.
Video1_LaJo_990230 (In the example, the applicant is named Lars Jonsson and was born on 2 February in 1999. He is applying for Performance Studies – Western Art Music. The next file is called Video2_LaJo_990230_PERFSTUD etc.)
- Create a new folder on your computer. Name the folder with the abbreviation your name_your instrument_date of birth (year/month/day).
- Put all your files in the folder and save it on your computer.
- Compress your folder into a ZIP file (do not use RAR files, we cannot open these). The folder must not exceed 5 GB.
- Open the link for uploading samples of work. You will find the link at the bottom of this page.
- Download or drag the entire folder from your computer into the upload window.
- When the upload is complete, you will receive a confirmation directly in the browser. Do not close the browser until the upload is complete.
- If you have problems with the upload of your samples of work, please contact us via email admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se
Please note: It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the work samples are complete according to the audition information, that they are submitted in the correct format and are playable. Never send your samples of work to the admissions email. They will end up in the wrong place and your application will not be considered complete.
admissions [at] mhm [dot] lu [dot] se